June 2, 2011

AM Northwest and the Fabulous Custom Desk

So, I finished up shooting my very first AM Northwest segment yesterday. It was a two week timeline, starting with the first shoot at The Rebuilding Center on Mississippi. The segment is about re-purposing old and used items into something fabulous (and we all know that I LOVE fabulous). 

While there, I selected an old wood door and some crusty kitchen cabinets to create my masterpiece. The cabinets I chose were covered in laminate wood and a few layers of paint. This is when a putty knife and primer will be your best friend.  

After hauling these bad boys home, I pulled them to the back deck and got to work sanding, primer, repairing and cleaning. As with all vintage/used items, you have to be prepared for the unexpected. Don't let the the dings and flaws send you over the edge. That's part of the beauty of these kinds of projects. My little "assistant" wasn't much help, but super cute, so I couldn't resist her taking a snooze while on the job.

With newly sanded and altered pieces, I got ready to tackle the painting. I chose a light gray to compliment the vibrant coralish red (very technical term) fabric I chose for the top. I love the combination.

The last step before putting all of the pieces together was to finish up the cabinets by installing gate hooks and doing a little decorative painting to pull the squares from the top down to the bottom.

It was quite difficult to hand over my labor of love to The Rebuilding Center, but I take comfort in knowing it's going to a great place. 

If you've never been there, check it out. They have aisles and aisles of old doors, windows, lumber, cabinets, hardware, lighting, and on and on and on. Low prices and recycling pieces that would have otherwise been tossed into a landfill. The way I see it, it's a win win.

1 comment:

Ric Seaberg said...

Crafty goddess ms. Coco!!