June 7, 2011

Tis' Berry Season

I don't know about you, but I have been counting the days until berry season since December when I used the last of my inventory from the freezer. I daydream of fresh strawberry shortcake and berry cobblers.


Full disclosure, I was raised in Lebanon, OR, home of The World's Largest Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberry Festival and berry fields as far as the eye could see. I tend to believe this is where the obsession came into play. When I was little, all of the neighbor kids would go on day long adventures through meadows and fields and pick wild blackberries. I also had a summer job picking strawberries one year. Although, I think I ate more than I got paid for. However this started, my love for berries is steadfast.

Luckily, we live in the Pacific Northwest, which means come June we are in berry heaven. I have already started planning for my first U-Pick trip and how I am going to store 3 times as many berries as I had last year. Be sure to check out Sauvie Island Farms for their fresh produce goodness. Their website lists the weeks that each different item is in season and ready to be picked. They also have a lovely flower field where you can cut flowers and create a beautiful bouquet.


Happy (Almost) Summer!
XOXO



No comments: