December 21, 2011

25 Days of Christmas CoCo Style - Day 21: Top Kitchen Gifts from Chef Tse

It's no secret that my cooking skills compare to that of a 7 year old. I don't know how the cooking gene skipped me, but it did. So, when thinking about who I could ask to guest post for me on this topic, my first choice was Chef Tse. If you haven't had the pleasure of seeing her on AMNW or tasting her delicious recipes, you are missing out. To top it off, she is one of the sweetest little things ever. Thanks for being a part of 25 Days of Christmas CoCo Style, Chef!

***************************************************************
Chef Tse’s Top 5 Holiday Kitchen Gifts
I love shopping for kitchen gifts during the holidays. It gives me an opportunity to share some of my favorite gadgets with friends and family. While it can be a bit overwhelming shopping at most kitchen stores, do not worry. Below is a list of my top 5 favorite gifts – ones that are useful, helpful and make cooking a joy.
This is probably one of the hardest working tools in my kitchen. I’ve even been known to bring it with me to friends’ houses because inevitably I’m always asked to cook! Not only does a microplane zest lemons, oranges and limes but it also grates Parmesan cheese, does chocolate shavings, and makes quick work of garlic cloves. Have trouble grating ginger? Use it for quick grating and easy clean up. 



All-Clad Skillet
My go-to pan in the kitchen is a 12-inch stainless steel pan from All-Clad. It’s a workhorse, is made here in the USA, cooks ingredients flawlessly and with a little Barkeeper’s Friend, cleans up beautifully.








While my then-fiancé waited for his US visa, I traveled to Paris every three months. I always left a small space in my suitcase so I could bring back a couple bottles of my favorite olive oil from O&CO. This French-based company now sells their oils online which is a bit more reasonable than a ticket to Paris. Check out their basil or lemon oils. They are incredible over risotto, steamed vegetables and fresh salads.

I recently had the pleasure of hosting Diane Morgan, a Portland-based food writer, as she promoted her new book, Gifts Cooks Love. This beautifully photographed book contains great gift-giving ideas from the kitchen: fresh and tangy lemon curd, homemade chili cornbread in individual cast iron skillets and cute little apricot ginger quick breads are my personal favorites. This makes a great gift for people who like to give gifts from the heart. I plan to give this to a few people on my holiday gift list in hopes of getting something homemade in the future!




If you’re looking for a fun stocking stuffer, check out this mini adjustable measuring cup. It’s perfect for measuring teaspoon- and tablespoon-size servings of sticky liquids like honey, molasses and maple syrup. There’s also a larger 2-cup capacity version too.




XOXO

No comments: